Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Through Hell or High Water

If you looked at Calgary a week ago you wouldn't even recognize what it looks like now. The past week we had so much rain and the city completely flooded. Hundreds of thousands of people had to be evacuated from their homes.

It is amazing that when such a big tragedy hits how people come together. I have never been more proud to be a Calgarian. Today Ben, my mom, and I all went to the drop in centre to help clean up what we could. There were hundreds of volunteers from all over the city. Many hands make light work.  It was heartbreaking to see what happened to the drop in centre. A place that is meant to help others in their times of need, was completely destroyed. We threw out thousands of dollars of soiled food, furniture, toiletries, and clothes.

Wearing the masks because the rotten food smell was so bad.

Who wants some milk?

Mom helping out by bringing a 6pack... of water!

My family was very blessed and our home was not affected by the flood. I have been out of a job though, because the golf course I work at, got flooded by the water. I know Satan doesn't want me to go on a mission, but you think he could have done something a little more subtle, instead of destroying half of my city. I'm kind of kidding...  But seriously.

This is McKenzie Meadows Golf Course. It is on the opposite side of the 22X from where my course, Blue Devil is.


The floods of 2013 have affected many people. But together as a city I know we will all make it through. #calgarystrong.





No comments:

Post a Comment